Thursday, November 17, 2005

It's been awhile...

I am still kinda sick. Can you believe it?! I can't. I feel pretty okay most of the time, but my throat hurts all of the time still, & I have been loosing my voice. Monday was the worst, I woke up & couldn't talk at all.
But on to important things.... School & knitting.
Let's start with school. The big news is that I have officially decided to change my major. After thinking about it long & hard, & debating it for over a year, I have chosen Interior Design over Fashion Design. So I had to drop a couple of classes that won't transfer into ID. That means no more fashion sketching or Survey of Western Art. It will be drafting & architecture classes from here. I was really bummed because I was really enjoying those classes, but I am sure that I will LOVE my new classes even more! Dropping classes has given me more time to knit, work, & be sick. : )

Knitting news... The laptop bag was done last week, I've been super lazy about getting photos posted.
I started the bag mid September, & finished it early last week. It was knit with a single strand, I usually double strand everything to be felted. It's all that cheapo KnitPicks yarn (mist, iron ore, & stream). That stuff felts so dammed nicely, and you cannot beat that price! Chris decided he did not want the handles cut into it, so you will have to imagine it with the cute handles. After seaming & before felting it measured 21" x 15 1/2". After felting it was 17" x 11". I was really happy with the colors, and the overall felting of the bag. I think if I were to do another one of these I would double strand for extra thickness. It is pretty thick, but you cannot have enough protection for your laptop. Chris tells me that it has been very popular with his fellow law students, they are calling it a "laptop condom". What professional lawyers to be!! It was about half way through knitting it when I realized the one major problem with the devil-may-care, caution-to-the-wind style of random striping that I am so fond of... The bottom of the bag is seamed & the stripes are SOOOO mismatched! I was surprised that it bugs me only a little bit. I want to make one of these for "my" laptop, but I don't know how soon I can face another long leg of boring knitting.
Other current knits... Three samples for the shop, one shop project, two secret projects, & ummm.... That cannot be it. I am sure that I am forgetting something else!
Now I am off to write a research paper for my Textile Sciences class. I chose gingham. That may sound boring to most of you, but I just love gingham. It's a comfort fabric for me. Gingham makes me think of picnics, apple pie, grandmothers, old flour sacks, & that famous golden brick road! I caught a few moments of The Wizard of Oz the other the night, right when Dorothy meets the scarecrow. The title of my research paper on gingham is "Somewhere over the Rainbow". I know.... I am a dork! : )

8 comments:

  1. oops! the bag still looks great and Im glad Chris and the other future lawyers love it. How about using one of those knitting machines if you want to make another one?

    So if you aren't going to do fashion, then who's going to make me fab clothes?! Im glad you are happy though and that, at least for this semester, you have a little more time for yourself

    wth? my word today is "nerds". is blogger trying to say something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a dork, too.

    Great laptop bag - mismatched stripes and all.

    I LOVE interior design. On another timeline somewhere I am an interior decorator.

    Good luck and get well!!!!!!

    --->back to my "Weasley"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is everyone sick? I've been sick for >1 week. It totally sucks, so I sympathize.

    I love the laptop condom. I already have a laptop sleeve, but it is boring, and yours is so cute.

    Exciting news about your new major!

    ReplyDelete
  4. now that you've changed your major to interior design, I can really begin to live vicariously through you! The laptop condom is great! even with mismatched stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks everyone! Yahaira-what happened to your cute profile image?!! I have never used a knitting machine, but that would be PERFECT for a project like this.
    Instead of making clothes for all of you guys, I will just have to come out to your parts of the country & decoraste your houses! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the laptop bag. It looks great. Have fun with the new major.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blog, your projects and your tattoos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the laptop bag! the stripes at the seam work well with the overall design. and one thing good about knitting is the art of getting over perfection... i know it's hard, beeeelieve me, i know.

    ReplyDelete