Wednesday, September 7, 2005

Work, Felts, Cats, Hurricanes...

QUOTE OF THE DAY-just because I liked it.
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been
hurt, and dance like no one is watching."
---------------------------------------
Yesterday was my first day at work! I worked a 5 1/2 hour shift, and although the time passed pretty quickly, I actually felt a little tired afterwards. PATHETIC!! My feet didn't really hurt, which is one thing I WAS expecting. I had a lot of fun & am really looking forward to working there. The entire staff, including the owner are truly incredibly sweet people!! I cannot even begin to describe how good it feels to spend 5 hours in a beautiful yarn shop & get paid to heavy pet with the dreamiest skeins, hanks, and balls!!!! mmmmmmm heaven! Total yarn-gasm!

Tacky yarn news... Yes, it's true, Target is now selling yarn. Novelty yarn. 99 cents a skein, 65 yards, 100% nylon. They had "funky fur" & I didn't catch the name of the other, but it was a ribbon kind of yarn. There were six shades of each, 2 pastels, 2 different oranges, & 2 different silver greys. Pretty boring. I did buy some of the "funky fur", Just for the novelty (har har) of having Target yarn. The truly sad thing is that they were also selling "needles". Packaged in clear plastic tubes, you could see the "needles" were warped, splitting, just in general, all funked up! I can imagine children, or adults, deciding to give knitting a try, buying cheap ass Target supplies, and getting so frustrated when the needle snaps into a million pieces & never wanting to knit again! BAD Target! Shame on you!!
On the lighter side of knitting news...
I am still struggling with intarsia, no I haven't actually attempted it. I don't know why I am being such a chump, I am overthinking it, I am sure. I have been fairly fearless in most other areas of new knitting techniques. It's just one of those things that I would feel better having a pro watch over my shoulder for a couple of rows. I am making this BAG, which will be felted, I thought a good idea for a first intarsia project, just felt over any goofs!
Other felts, the amazing coincidental sweater matching bag has been done for a while now. I am waiting to start and finish this skully bag & felt all at once. Because my front loader isn't very agitate-y, it takes many loads to achieve maximum felt-age, & I hate the idea of wasting water.

You watch the news, read the papers, hear about it on the streets, everywhere. You THINK that you have some kind of grasp on the magnitude of it all. Then you meet someone who has been there & reality reaches down your throat & just chokes you the hell up...
A woman came into the shop yesterday & bought a skein of yarn, purple manos, that doesn't have anything to do with anything, it just stuck out in my mind. Maybe it will be similar to when I worked at a cafe & came to know people by their drinks, "oh look, here comes double non-fat, hold the foam, extra chocolate latte"! ANYway... This woman... is a Katrina victim, survivor, not sure how to address that. She made it out here & is staying with an old friend, I think from high school. I would hazard to guess that this woman was in her mid to late 60's. She escaped with her knitting bag & her cat, and was just kind of matter of fact about the fact that she had absolutely no clue about her home or other belongings. What does that say about knitters. We got all misty eyed hearing about this.

2 comments:

  1. hrm, target yarn? is that the best they could come up with? Im a bit disappointed.

    do you know how crazy it is to think you can still go to your high school friend's house when you are in your 60's?! I hope Im that lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know!! both target & the high school friend thing.
    The more I stopped & thought about it... I guess if I had a friendship that was that solid for all those years, I too would be the kind of person who could withstand something like Katrina. This woman was so calm. very impressive. power of friendship.... wow!!

    ReplyDelete