Tuesday, February 7, 2006

Free Bag of Yarn!!!

Now that I have your attention!

Remember the yarn focus group that I went to a couple of weeks ago while knocking on death's doorstep? Well, my "free" bag of yarn came yesterday. We were there for a little over 3 hours, the yarn is $10/ball, or $100/bag. We figured out that we were "paid" about $30/hour for our time & opinions on yarn. Not too shabby! I have NO IDEA what I am going to use this for. The stats are:
  • 3 1/2 sts/inch
  • 750 yards total
  • 40%merino. 28% viscose, 10% cashmere, 15% nylon, & 7% angora
Any ideas/suggestions? I was planning on using malabrigo to make the lace leaf sweater from loop-de-loop. Maybe this will be a better choice. I do like the idea of brown autumn leaves. The gauge is way off for that. OOH... Or maybe the Yoke Vest. When it comes to sweaters, I can never make up my mind, and commit to a project.
So yesterday some pals came over & we had an afternoon knitting session. I spent most of my time working on the stripy socks, the ones on the archaic dpn's. hehe Then my friend Kate gave me the motivation I needed to finish my damned slippers. Tonight we are planning to go see Purple Rain at the Parkway. This theater is awesome, they have big comfy couches, and serve pizza & beer during the movie. ANYWAY, what does that have to do with me finishing my slippers? Kate offered up her top loading washer for the felting process. I have given up felting in my front loader. It is totally do-able, stuff felts in there, it just takes 5 cycles to get it done. And I feel way too guilty about wasting the water! So the slippers are DONE!! I will give you all of the gritty details when I post the after photos.

I cannot believe that I was ale to practice such restraint and work on ONLY older projects. I did NOT even touch my magic loop socks. Well, just to show them off to my pals. And I have a silly non-important question...
Are there different names for knitting small circumference on one vs. two circs? Does magic loop apply to both techniques?

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that yarn looks yummy! I knit two socks at once using magic loop. I don't know if there's a specific name for that though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think on two circs, it's just called "on two circs" and not magic loop. But I don't think it matters what you call it anyway!

    Wow..... what to make with that yarn......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you re: the free yarn!! You just have to take the plunge and make something...

    That theater sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy yarn! im sure youll find the perfect pattern for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    beautiful yarn! What about that nice cable-eight vest that was in Interweave Knits last summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous yarn! It would make a great lace leaf pullover.

    ReplyDelete